March 12, 2011

What Is "Here's Your Life" About?

I'm very excited about this tune - not only because it's super fun to listen to…but because it has a message I NEED TO HEAR myself every day -- that God's gift of life and love is new to me every morning I wake up, that I no longer need to dwell on the mistakes of the past, but I can cling to the hope of God's promises to take care of me. And I'm thrilled that radio promotions genius Wendell Gafford is coming alongside me to help more people hear this tune.

Have you heard it yet? Check it out here, with my visual commentary added in for good measure...


I’m a big dork for 80s music! Anybody else? I love the fun of so many of the great songs like “All Night Long,” “Sussudio,” or “Rhythm Is Gonna Get You.” This song was definitely influenced by two of my favorites—Lionel Richie and Phil Collins. I love Scott’s Chicago-style horn arrangement on the bridge, and then his Miami Sound Machine vocal breakdown.

Here's me talking about piecing together this "Frankenstein" song...
"Frankenstein song"

Lyrically, I wanted to create a song that people could sing first thing in the morning, and then be encouraged by it all day long. The title comes from the thought that if you lost your keys and we were looking for them, and then I found them, I’d say with great joy, “Here’s Your Keys!” Why do we look more intensely for lost keys, remotes or phones than we do for our own lives?

Here's me talking (again!) about the meaning of "Here's Your Life"...
"Meaning of the Song"

There are some people who seem to be living life in a holding pattern…just waiting for someone to give them permission to start really living their life. What are you waiting for? You don’t have to be held back any longer from living the life you desire. I want this song to be a voice of encouragement…a voice of permission. THIS is the day the Lord has made!

interesting note: Co-writer Scott Sheriff was Steven Curtis Chapman’s bandleader for several years, and sang background on many of his big hits. He even pulled Smeby into the small group choir for Steven’s #1 hit “Speechless” – a dream come true. Smeby had two “crazy” dreams when he moved to Nashville – to sing in a Steven Curtis Chapman choir, and to be a dad in a Ray Boltz music video. Both have come true! Smeby played a dad who takes his son to visit the grave of his fallen soldier father in the poignant video for "Fallen Not Forgotten." Kinda makes you want to not dream too small!

It's not pretty...but here's me working on my vocal for "Here's Your Life." The patient voice in the background is the way talented Doug Beiden.


HERE'S YOUR LIFE lyrics:

v1: Yesterday has no more power over your todays
It's in the past, thrown it all away, no more looking back
What are you waiting for, cause all you have is now

c: Here's your life!
This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice, and be glad in it
We are not promised tomorrow, so hold on to today

v2: Trust in Him and you will find that He has a plan,
To prosper you, and to give you hope, and make your future bright
What's holding you back, don't you think the time is now!

c: Here's your life!
This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice, and be glad
We are not promised tomorrow, so hold on to today
Here's your life!
This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice, and be glad
We are not promised tomorrow, so hold on to today

1 comment:

dana Bowling said...

Mark my friend! This is a wonderful, positive, upbeat song with a fantastic message! I think it's a perfect song to wake up to and get you moving in the morning! Thanks Mark! May the Lord bless you and keep you, and make His face shine upon you and give you peace in all your endeavors!