March 30, 2011

The Life of Your Dreams - Pt. 3

What is the one thing that has held me back from living the life of my dreams? This week I’m exploring the topic of going after the life you truly desire.

I believe the most powerful force that holds us back from living the life we truly desire is fear. Fear of the unknown…fear of what might happen. For me, the big one has always been the fear of what other people will think. What if I go after the life I want, and everything goes horrible wrong, and I just end up in a pile on the side of the road? (This is where my mind can go sometimes!)

I believe we don’t go after our dreams because we prefer the comfort and stability of where we are at, even if it isn’t exactly where we want to be. It’s what’s familiar; it’s what we know. And even if it’s not completely fulfilling, it’s better than being seen as a failure, or bringing pain and discomfort into our life.

Part 3 - The Big Hurdle

When I get up on stage to do a concert, I can let fear takeover. If I do, it takes me to a miserable place where I’m so focused on what everybody thinks about me, and I’m not able to be fully present in the moment and let God have His way.

I refuse to let fear have any place in my life. Though I have to admit, it does pull up in front of my house sometimes…engine rumbling…sometimes it even comes up and knocks on my front door. But I’m not answering. It’s not worth it…even if I’m used to it.

So what’s the best antidote to fear? Faith—faith that the God of the universe is on your side. On my bathroom mirror hangs Joshua 1:9 – “Don’t ever be afraid or discouraged! I am the Lord your God, and I will be there to help you wherever you go.” When you’re tempted to fear, stop for a minute and remind yourself of the faith you have in God – that you are loved and cared for, and that He is with you. The fear will melt away like hot butter.

I’d much rather live my life as an adventure, diving into the unknown, armed with faith, courage and the love of God, than settling for the stability of the status quo. The fear of yesterday has no more power over your today’s. It’s in the past, thrown it all away, no more looking back. Stop worrying about what other people might think about you if you started to go after your dreams! Today is a new day!! Call me crazy, but I’m going for it. Wanna join me?

So maybe you’re on the right path, but things are getting tough. What’s the best way to power through the hard times? I’ll tell you tomorrow. Please drop me a note or comment below - I’d love to hear your personal story. See you tomorrow.

No comments: