March 29, 2011

The Life of Your Dreams - Pt. 2

What’s holding you back from living the life of your dreams? Yesterday I talked about the importance of having our identity firmly rooted in Jesus Christ before we set out on this journey of desire. If you’re like me, you’re already on board with God. But you’re probably thinking, “There’s got to be something more to life than what I’m experiencing right now!” And you’re ready to move from the mundane to the magnificent.

So what is the first barrier that must be climbed over before you can live the life of your dreams? I believe the biggest hindrance to living the life of your dreams is, drum roll please…a lack of vision.

Part 2 - Vision

I love what Yogi Berra said, “If you don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else.” Most of us don’t even know what we want. We get so busy consuming the things that are advertised to us – as things that will bring us joy – and we end up with a false desire in us for things that we don’t really want.

It’s important to clearly define in your mind, and maybe on paper, exactly where you want to go. Once you have clearly defined your objective, you can more easily identify the steps it will take to get you there. Being vague and unclear will only lead you down a road that will take you someplace, but perhaps someplace you don’t want to go.

Lily Tomlin once said, “When I was young I always wanted to BE somebody when I grew up. I just wish I’d been more specific.” Isn’t that the truth! Developing a vision takes time, experience, a lot of prayer, and a lot of advice from people who have been down the road a bit further than you.

And remember, God is on your side, working behind the scenes on your behalf to lead you down the path He wants you on. Romans 8:28 says – “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.” The best way to get someplace is to know where you are going.

I’d love to hear from you. You can write me an email or comment below. I look forward to hearing about your personal journey. Tomorrow I want to tell you what has held me back the most on my own personal journey. I’ll see you then!

2 comments:

Kuulei Aganos said...

I'd like to have a more purposeful life in that I want to go out and make a difference in the world, do some mission work of some sort. Every time I start thinking that way, I hear this little voice saying, "you're doing lots here".

My father passed away in 2006 and my mother suffered a small stroke about 6 months after. Things were spiraling as I really didn't think I had anyone to turn to or depend on, and I had plans! Long story short, after wrestling with so much guilt and resentment, I started focusing on the one thing that I failed to focus on during this time - Jesus. Through letting Him have control and saying that I can't do anything part from God, made an enormous difference!

So that voice saying, "you're doing lots here", reminds me of the love and care I give to my mother; the opportunity to minister to my brother who is lost; friends who need encouraging; and organizations that need volunteers.

While I still hope that the doors will open for me one day, my constant prayer is, "God, use me where You see fit".

Aloha ~ :-)

Tammi Frankell said...

Hi Mark. A mutual friend, Leslie Hatfield, posted a link of your new CD on Facebook. I listened and absolutely love it. You are incredible. I would love to have a copy and was wondering if it is possible I get one. Would be more than happy to pay for the CD and whatever postage is involved. Keep doing what you are doing. God Bless. Tammi