June 24, 2013

What is Pilgrim Man? Sharing Hope


I'm thankful that certain songs "came my way" over the past 20 years. Meaning, it's difficult to take complete credit for creating something, because it is such a spiritual experience that God must certainly be involved somehow. Sometimes my job is to simply be a transmitter...receive the signal, and then transmit the message. Does that make sense? It's all very mysterious to me.

The song of mine that seems to have had the biggest connection with people is "Pilgrim Man." Have you heard it? Watch the music video we did for the tune just above.

So where did this song come from? Listen...
[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/98240503" params="color=ff6600&auto_play=false&show_artwork=true&show_playcount=true&show_comments=true" width=" 100%" height="81" iframe="false" /]

I love the poetry of the word "pilgrim" - meaning, a person who undertakes a spiritual journey, usually of a considerable distance. Isn't that what we are doing? When I view life as a journey it's impossible to say that this, right now, is the end—that somehow God has been with me up until the present, but He's gone now. God is continuing to write a beautiful story with our lives—a story that is filled with conflict and chaos, and beauty and mystery. It's not up to me to understand the story, but to remain on the journey—to not give up.

[caption id="attachment_1611" align="alignright" width="150"]Smeby20a Click here for my "20 Years in Nashville" landing page[/caption]

People all around us are struggling. They are trying to figure out how to keep walking in faith, even when someone at church has hurt them. They are trying to figure out how to keep walking, when the brokenness of a long-term relationship makes them feel worthless. They are trying to hide their addictions, knowing that honesty can lead to ostracization. Maybe it's you...

Many of us are struggling emotionally, physically, financially, spiritually...so I wanted to create a song of hope for all of us who need encouragement to keep taking the next step on the journey God has us on.
“Though the road may be long, and the journey hard…
You are Not Alone and God will carry you.
Hold on, Pilgrim man, you’re almost home.”

As Christian pilgrims, we are on a journey to our actual home in heaven. I know I need constant reminding that I don’t have to go it alone, and that God is my ever-present strength and hope.

As I look back over the 20 years in Nashville which I celebrate this month, I will always be grateful to have been a part of communicating a message of hope to a world so desperately in need. And I hope to continue that mission for the rest of my days.




Can you think of someone who could use a bit of hope and encouragement? Perhaps you could forward them this page, send them the music video for "Pilgrim Man," or simply "like" this page on facebook. You will be doing a great work to share hope with those around you who are hurting. God bless you!

No comments: