July 26, 2008

My Briefs - What A Week!

I'm feeling completely overwhelmed by joy. It's been a remarkable week. One of my most favorite things in the world is seeing Drum Corps competing live. MTSU hosts a big one every summer. I went last night. After my scheduled corps-compadre cancelled, I decided I could go alone. I got a bit lost trying to find the place, and arrived late at exactly the same time as John, a perfect stranger whose wife let him have the night off to go to his first Corps show in 20 years because it was his birthday, of all things. A self-professed band geek (like myself), and ahem...Trekkie (not that there's anything wrong with that), John became the perfect companion for this awesome night. I was reminded of the power that excellence and creativity have to bring 20,000 people to their feet. I sat in awe as I watched marching and heard playing that both seemed un-human, constantly picturing the hundreds of hours these sun-bronzed, disciplined kids have spent on blazing hot practice fields, working their skills to perfection. Made me feel old and a little lazy, but off-the-chart psyched up to keep aiming for excellence, and to find new, creative ways of expressing myself that will inspire others to come more fully alive. Happy Birthday, John! Your presence was a gift to me last night. You would've been a great Scout.

Sheryl Crow Thursday night at the Sommet Center was incredible as well. She's hot and confident, and about as prolific of a songwriter as they come. Quite a remarkable voice, too. Wednesday night with Eric, and Monday with Josh D. were killer. And Tuesday was a huge day for working the plow in the field of forgiveness. My heart is tender.

I'm also blown away by the great work my friend Christopher Davis did producing "Precious Memories" for me - the first song I've recorded that I've written both the music and lyrics. It's on my myspace page and will appear in the film "Clancy" being produced by Kelly's Filmworks out of Louisville. What an honor. "Superfamous" will also be appearing the film "Fraternity House," but that's a whole other kind of honor. One that smells more like beer.

Ah, the sweet dichotomy of my life.

3 comments:

Eric Sidler said...

Good to finally find your blog, Mark. Looking forward to reading it!

Eric Sidler said...

Wow! Sounds like an amazing week, especially the part on Wednesday ;)

Anonymous said...

Skol!