March 6, 2006

Let's not have sex.

(scene takes place in bed)

1: This is crazy, but can we not have sex?
2: What do you mean?
1: I mean, can we just lie here and not have to get all animal, just to feel like we really amount to something?
2: You mean, just lie here?
1: That sounds awesome.
2: You're kidding me. You bought me all those drinks tonight so you can cuddle?
1: I actually just want to find someone who won't leave. If we have sex, you'll leave. And then the next time I see you, you'll have told all your friends (secretly, of course!) that we had sex and you'll be all weird to me. Either you'll ignore me, or you'll be all nice and want to come over, and you'll expect sex again. It's setting a precedent.
2: A what?
(silence)
2: So you just want me to like you? As a person?
1: I'd love it if you could just listen to me when I talk, but without needing me to say anything. That you could see that you have great value in this relationship. That I need you to be strong and interesting and engaging and proactive. I need you to have a life that's awesome without me...something that I can find joy in while I'm pursuing you. That it's not all about you being captured and playing dead like every other person I've dated.
(pause)
1: I need you in ways you've never imagined. But you've got to find out in yourself what value you bring to this relationship. That's the part of you that I need the most.

No comments: