February 10, 2006

That my-laundry-never-gets-dirty smell.

I’ve always been someone who goes after what they want. And the fact that I am generally successful at it, has made me into a fairly self-confident, ambitious, go-getter. I can do anything. I can win in any situation. I can convince anyone that they should go this way, rather than that. I can win the hearts of one, or many. Any sign of a situation gone uncontrolled, or a person left unconvinced, tends to keep me up at night. Restless hours scheming and planning how to sway, or better yet, inspire, the antagonist in the scene to come over to my side.

I look back fondly on hearts that I’ve won over. Hearts that were hard at first, but over time realized the value of my friendship. Another notch in my logbook of life-long acquaintances. Goals I set that appeared insurmountable, disappearing in the smoke of my charm and smooth-talking.

To a certain extent, I do feel lucky for this ability. Even more thankful am I for my ability to keep it all apparently above-board. No one questioning my ability to make things, or people, happen. No one to stare me in the eyes and second guess my motives. No one but me.

But I do find it easy enough to ignore myself, as well as the next person does. So I continue on—conquering, winning, achieving, amazing, and inspiring.

There have been a handful of people who have kept me humble. People who taunt me with their own kind of charm. People who come right up to the edge of being conquerable, and then slip away... only to tease me again with their near-approachability. These are usually people who are admired by many around them. Admired for their charisma...for their ability to get things done...for their way of appearing like they have every square peg put firmly into the square hole, and every round peg nestled gently into its round hole.

I guess that might be how people view me. I mean, I hope that’s how people view me.

So, as much as I admire these people, they throw me for a loop. I’d love to be able to just grab a hold of their coat-tails and ride them into a warm feeling of self-worth and security. But those coat-tails are always just out of my grasp. I keep reaching... and they keep walking away. They keep on not returning my phone calls. They keep on staying busy talking to everybody else, making sure that they all feel good about themselves. Winning the next award, saving the next world... They’re always just around the next corner. Leaving behind their smell...that confident, my-laundry-never-gets-dirty smell.

But, I keep on. Thinking that one day, I might just attain that same sort of invincibility.

No comments: