December 21, 2005

Your turn signal must be broken!

I just ran to the drug store right near my house to pick up a prescription. It's so close that I actually kept my slippers on for the drive there. On the way out, I was waiting for a car coming from the left to pass before I would turn out of the parking lot. Well...it turns out that car was actually turning RIGHT...into the parking lot...but chose NOT to signal. Which means, yes...I had to wait an additional three or four seconds before I could pull out.

As you can imagine, my first thought was to turn all the way around and follow that obviously rude person into the parking place next to theirs and politely roll down my window, and say something entirely TOO sarcastic, like: "Being the holidays and all, I just wanted you to know that I think your turn signal must be broken! And I didn't want you to be driving around all over the place not knowing that! So..Merry Christmas!" And then drive away. That sounds like it would take about 35 or 40 extra seconds. But, can you imagine how great it would feel to let a person know that their actions really do affect other people!? I mean, good Lord, I lost a good three or four seconds by that person not using their signal!

I realize this is insanity...even though it is probably a very common feeling among most of us. I constantly see people doing things that affect me in a (however miniscule) negative way (especially if I'm looking for them) and I feel like it's my responsibility to let them know about it...so they can change and be a more positive member of our society. What a weight I'm choosing to carry!

I'm getting ready to see my family over the holidays. I'm CERTAIN that I will encounter many opportunities to point out things that I see each one of them doing that affect me and others in negative ways. But is it really worth it for me to be the Behavior Police of the World, much less my Family, that I'm able to be? I don't think so either.

I just heard someone say: "Whenever you have a thought that excludes or judges anyone else, you aren't defining them. You're defining yourself as someone who needs to judge others."

I want to be someone who chooses to love and not someone who chooses to judge. You heard it here first. I can't wait to see how much time I save by not chasing down all the wrongdoers that I meet over the holidays. What a gift I can give to myself!

No comments: