December 15, 2005

If you could change one thing about everybody...

EMCEE: If you could change one thing about everybody in the world, what would it be?

MARK: If I could change one thing about everybody in the world, I would ask that passivity be removed from their lives.

EMCEE: Beautiful answer. Tell us why...

MARK: I think that passivity holds so many people back from really experiencing the life they want to have. People wait around for life to be handed to them, and when it doesn't, they just end up sitting on the couch watching television. The best way to have the life you desire is to create it, with love, grace and sensitivity as your watchwords. You can do most anything you want. (applause) Except when it comes to relationships. (audience gasps) It seems like if you try to make something happen in personal relationships you just push people away. And if you sit around waiting for someone to reach out to you, they never do. I can only imagine a world with balance where people just, you know, like each other, they hang out, and have a good time playing, taking breaks for snacks that your mom makes. There are a ton of people who I feel like I'm constantly the one pushing the relationship, as if it's a car that just quit in the middle of the street. It's a nice car, and we're having a great time, laughing the whole while, but you're still sitting inside listening to your favorite radio station, and I'm out here pushing. Yes, we're getting somewhere, but we are going about it in entirely different ways. My thinking tells me that it'd be awesome to have you back here...pushing the car right beside me.

No comments: