February 26, 2013

Shooting Nashville

IMG_0831
Look for me in Episode 16 of ABC's hit series "Nashville" - most likely to air on Wednesday, March 13th at 9pm Central. (Airdate is looking like April 3rd - "I Saw The Light" - Stay tuned!) Can you believe it?





Read part two HERE!

Turns out, fifth time’s the charm. Yes, I had auditioned for four different roles on the ABC hit television series “Nashville.” But it was the fifth one that clicked.

Around noon on Tuesday February 19th, my agent called: “They’d like to see you for a role on ‘Nashville.’ Can you come in this afternoon, and are you available to shoot tomorrow?”
“Absolutely.” Not sure how many other guys they asked to see.

I showed up at my agent’s office at 2:30 to be filmed delivering the lines from the short scene she had emailed. It was just like any other audition where you do what you think might work, and then leave hoping it did, but working harder to not think it about it any longer. They uploaded my audition for the casting director to check out.

Two hours later I got a call saying I’ve been placed “on hold” by the casting director. This usually means, “we kinda like you, and want to make sure you don’t book yourself on something else until we decide for sure if it’s you or the other guy we like a lot more.”

I couldn’t believe it. This is a good sign, but nothing’s for sure yet. Still, my excitement is growing. The possibility of actually getting on the show is closer than ever.

IMG_0809The next news came in an email from my agent, forwarded from casting:“Please send Mark Smeby's info ASAP...he may have an 8:00 call... He has been approved by the Local Producers...we are at the Network now...should be no problem…”

Well, that sounded pretty amazing. I called my parents right away and told them the news. Still, the whole thing could fall through, you know, if the network execs think I look too much like somebody they don’t like, or some other crazy reason like that. I immediately proceeded to the workout room and got on the treadmill and stayed for the next eight hours. Actually, it was only an hour, but I wanted to feel like I at least did something to not look super fat on camera.

IMG_0813

Now this was a special part for me. Instead of sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring, I went to my normal Tuesday night men’s group. Yes, I kept my phone in my lap, but everyone understood and shared my excitement. The meeting ended and we adjourned to our regular post-meeting Mexican restaurant. I sat and ate a taco and a few chips, trying to engage with what others were saying, all the while keeping my eyes on the phone. Yep, I was that guy.

About an hour in, I was just about to leave. I felt bad for allowing my anxiousness to make me so disengaged. To which a wise buddy replied, “So you want to go off and be anxious alone?” Touché. I sat back down and enjoyed the camaraderie.

IMG_0814

Then the phone rang. They all heard it, and immediately stop talking, looking in my direction. I answered. Yep, it was the producer calling to congratulate me and say how she looked forward to meeting me in the morning at 8am. Unbelievable. I hung up the phone and the guys raised their glasses and broke into a huge cheer! It was a beautiful, priceless moment. So glad I wasn’t alone.

The next day was one surreal moment after another. I’ve been on shoots before, but nothing of this caliber. Nothing with this many people, or this much finely tuned organization. I was taken care of so well, and was continually thrilled at the kindness shown to me. They treated me like I was a special guest at their house, and not the schlep who just drove across the river to get to the set. Little did they know!

The day started with me getting shown to my trailer. I always wondered what it’d be like to have a trailer! I’m sure there are all different types of trailers for the different level of stars, but the basic premise is to give someone a place to change their IMG_0792clothes and pee in private. That’s about all you could do in this one. It was basically a doublewide porta-potty. There was a scene schedule for the day and a miniature version of the script waiting for me (something you could put in IMG_0790your pocket even while you were shooting). I got wardrobe approved and had a great time in the make-up chair. (The stylists are the ones with all the good stories on the set!) Then I waited.

I sat on the little bench in my doublewide and worked on my lines. Sometimes I would stand up and deliver the lines into the mirror. Then I’d pee. This process repeated about three times. Throw in a bunch of texting with friends, and you get the whole picture.

Then the knock came: “We’re ready for you on set!”
Read part two HERE!


27 comments:

Marcia Ware said...

well done, mark...so excited for you!

Greta Olson Landis said...

Wow! So exciting! Love it, Mark.

Dianne Petersen Gentzler Rhode said...

We are so excited for you Mark. We will be watching in Nebraska.

Ron Doyle said...

Way to go, Mark. Is it fair to say "A Star is Born"...again!

Jeannie Moran Androsoff said...

How exciting, Mark. We'll watch for sure.

Ann Haller Kennedy said...

Love this show!!!!!!

Rob Carnegie said...

Right on Mark. Very happy for you and truly pray it leads to so much more acting/singing for you.

Robin Schmidt said...

That is my is my favorite show on tv!! (Besides the Mentalist)

Sara Oberlin Thomas said...

very exciting!

Cathy Messinger said...

Awesome!

Brenda Scarborough said...

This is just AWESOME Mark. Good Luck tomorrow!

Rob Carnegie said...

Oh ya... :-)

JoAnna 'Smeby' Guetter said...

Thanks for sharing, this is awesome! I was dying to know more info, so fun to read & share. Excited for you! And you look awesome and handsome as usual!

Mark Smeby said...

Thanks Rob!!! Yes, come on down! You can stay on my couch!

Mark Smeby said...

Thanks Jeannie!!! Love you!

Mark Smeby said...

Thanks Sara!

Mark Smeby said...

Thank you Dianne!

Mark Smeby said...

Thanks Marcia!

Mark Smeby said...

Thanks Greta boo-boo!

Mark Smeby said...

Sure!! :) HA! Thanks Ron!

Mark Smeby said...

Thank you JoAnna!

Mark Smeby said...

Thanks Cathy!

Mark Smeby said...

Thanks Brenda!

Mary Grabow said...

Congrats Mark! Just remember, I knew you when...

Tammi Frankell said...

SO excited for you. Can't wait to see... GOD is good. Hang in there, you never know. This may be the break you have been waiting for!

Linda Madsen said...

looks like a great show but past my bedtime....now I must watch....congrats...hope this leads to many more opportunities!

Marcus Walton said...

Congrats Mark! Miss you, bro. Glad to hear you are thriving : ).