April 1, 2011

The Life of Your Dreams - Pt. 5

What are the two most powerful words that will transform your life? This week I’ve been exploring how to live the life of your dreams. And today I want to talk about the discipline that has transformed my own life, perhaps more than anything else. It’s the discipline of gratitude. So you can probably guess that I believe the two most powerful words that can transform you life are: Thank and You. Thank you. It’s sounds so good, doesn’t it?

Most of us would say, “I’m so grateful for everything I have. My life is so blessed.” But how specific are you willing to get? How much thanks are you willing to express? When you see a beautiful sunset, or have a great conversation with a friend, do you say thank you for that specific event? And even more importantly, who do you say thank you to? I believe God loves it when we point to Him as the source of everything we have and everything we experience. When we show Him that we are grateful, I believe it somehow frees us up to start seeing more and more how God is continually dumping His blessings on us. That has been my experience.

Part 5 - Two Big Words

When you become a grateful person, you will be amazed at how much there is in your life to be grateful for. When I’m grateful, I can’t be depressed or resentful. I can’t be focused on myself when I’m pointing to someone else and saying thank you.

And there are more ways of saying thank you than just using words. I want my life to be continually pointing to God, shouting thank you with my every last breath. Every thing I do, every conversation I have, every song I write, every concert I do…I want be a response of gratitude to all God has done for me. You might even call this worship. I do.

So…how do you say thank you? How you say thank you will shape the way you live your life. Even saying, or singing the words to Psalm 118:24, like I do in my song “Here’s Your Life,” is a form of gratitude – thanking God for the beauty of today. “This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.”

So learn to say thank you with your life. You will soon find that you’ve already been given the life you’ve always dreamed of. That’s what happened to me.

Thank you for spending the week with me. You’ve heard mine, now I’d love to hear your story. Please shoot me an email or a comment below. I’d be most grateful.

No comments: