January 8, 2009

Highlights of 2008 From A Pop Music Snob

Phew! Glad 2008 is over! We had some great musical moments, but I'm certainly ready for all the joyous popitude the New Year promises to hold. I love making this list, if for no other reason than to be able to look back over previous year's lists and remember what I loved. So here's my fancy list of favorite music stuff from 2008.

MOST FAVORITE CDS: Kanye West - 808s & Heartbreak, Jason Mraz - We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things, Tammi Rhoton - For the Weary and Broken.

REALLY GREAT: Adele - 19, Downhere - Ending is Beginning, Marc Broussard - Keep Coming Back, Brandon Heath - What If We, Alanis Morissette - Flavors of Entanglement, James Morrison - Songs For You, Truth For Me.

ALSO LOVE: Francesca Battistelli - My Paper Heart, Coldplay - Viva la Vida, Keane- Perfect Symmetry, Lady Gaga - The Fame, Leeland - Opposite Way, Roisin Murphy - Overpowered, Jon McLaughlin - OK Now, Michael W. Smith - A New Hallelujah.

BEST SINGLES: "American Boy" - Estelle w/Kanye West, "Broken" - Lifehouse (no better song about the life of faith than this), "Closer" - Ne-Yo, "Single Ladies" - Beyonce, "Forever" - Chris Brown, "Let It Rock" - Kevin Rudolf, "Love Lockdown" - Kanye West, "Four Minutes to Save the World" - Madonna & Justin, "No Air" - Chris Brown & Jordin Sparks, "Mercy" - Duffy, "Viva La Vida" - Coldplay, "Low" - Flo Rida w/T-Pain.

CLOSE CALLS: "Love Remains the Same" - Gavin Rossdale, "Shadowfeet" - Brooke Fraser (she's amazing!), "Love Is Here" - Tenth Avenue North, "Better" - Tom Baxter (best love song), "Dream Catch Me" - Newton Faulkner, "Pocketful of Sunshine" - Natasha Bedingfield (feel good song of the year), "Give Me Your Eyes" - Brandon Heath (probably GMA's song of the year), "Here I Am" - Downhere, "Fascination" - Alphabeat, "Just Dance" - Lady Gaga, "Disturbia" - Rihanna.


2 comments:

Colin P. Fagan said...

Hey Mark,
I just realized reading your post that I knew 10% of the people you were talking about.

I guess I have come that far away from popular music.

I do not know rather to be happy or wipe away a tear or two.

Anonymous said...

Cool! I have no idea who any of those people are! Thanks for keepin' us hip...