September 13, 2008

Video of Me Singing "Hero" At Ken Parker Tribute

Here's a clip from an amazing experience I had up in Minneapolis back in April. It was a tribute event to my former music pastor, the amazing Ken Parker. He wrote this song for a Christmas musical "Child of Love" back in the early 90s, and entrusted me with it to sing it on the record we made, and during a few live performances we did of the whole musical.




I decided to rearrange the 1st verse and chorus, probably because of what I saw the kids do to songs on American Idol. I loved how the ballad-ness allowed me to really honor the lyrics he wrote and bring new life to the song. I was scared to death while I was singing, yet I was having a blast. I was so thrilled to be there and was on the verge of tears most of the time. Ken Parker really believed in me, which gave me permission then, to believe in myself and begin dreaming bigger than what I thought was possible. Thanks Ken!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You nailed that soaring ending (back and forth with the chorus was just like the album)! I am so crying...I'm just a big sissy and so liking you... More live music, please!

Anonymous said...

This was a magical night. Watching you sing it again brought tears to my eyes. My family and I soooooo enjoy your music!

Maureen Nelson